Colorado State Publications Library
Files of records cataloged in the past six months.
In the interest of long-term stability, the State Publications Library will be building its own digital repository in-house to manage our collection of digital state publications. Our intention is to get through the transition with minimal impact on our depository libraries.
As of April 1, we are no longer depositing publications into the Alliance Digital Repository (our current system). We will continue to catalog digital state publications while the new system is being developed, but the files will be temporarily housed on our web server until the new repository is up and running. Our target go-live date is September 1, 2015. As you may know, each digital publication ingested into our repository is given a persistent identifier using the Handle system which is placed in the 856 fields of our catalog records. Items that are cataloged during the transition will not be given handles until the new repository system is in place. Once the publications have been ingested into the new system, we will post a set of bibliographic records with handles for the transitional items.
None of the handles in our existing bibliographic records will change as The Alliance will maintain the handle server so all legacy handles will resolve.
We will continue to post sets of bibliographic records on http://www2.cde.state.co.us/artemis/catalogedrecords/ to download. Any records for digital publications will have links to a temporary location in the 856 field.
Libraries will have two choices:
1) Continue loading records for digital state publications into your local catalog each month. When the set of updated records with handles is posted, overlay the existing records with the new record set.
2) Cease the monthly load of records for digital state publications until the set of bibliographic records with handles is available. Current titles could be accessed through our library catalog, Pandora, or through Prospector. Monthly record loads will resume once our new repository is in place.
We are excited about the prospects of running our own digital repository, and hope to provide seamless access to digital state publications during this transition.
Please contact Samantha Hager (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions about the digital repository.
For questions about the files of bibliographic records contact Virginia Inness (email@example.com) or 303-866-6902.
For each month, three files are created. The first file contains all the records cataloged for that month. The second file is a subset of the first and contains records for electronic documents available via the Internet. The third file contains records that had the URL updated during the month. Instructions for using MarcEdit to manipulate the files are at the bottom of the page.
Files for records cataloged April 2015
Files for records cataloged March 2015
Files for records cataloged February 2015
Files for records cataloged January 2015
Files for records cataloged December 2014
Files for records cataloged November 2014
Files for records cataloged October 2014
Files for records cataloged September 2014
Files for records cataloged August 2014
Files for records cataloged July 2014
Files for records cataloged June 2014
Instructions for Using MARCedit to manipulate the files.
Files of records for cataloged items will be placed on the Artemis server at http://www.cde.state.co.us/artemis/catalogedrecords/ by the 7th day of each month. Any library interested in picking up the records and loading some or all in their systems are free to do so. The most recent 3 months of files will be kept here.
The files are the .out format of Millennium data exchange. One set of files includes all items cataloged and another file is a subset of records that have URLs in them.
To copy the files from Artemis to your computer/system, right click and choose the desired destination. Copying the complete files will make them easier to work with.
Download and install MarcEdit (freeware), available from:
2. Download desired files from http://www.cde.state.co.us/artemis/catalogedrecords/
3. Change the extension of the .out file to .mrc.
4. Using MarcEdit, go to the Marc Breaker function.
5. Open the .mrc file and execute the file. MarcEdit will then create a file with a .mrk extension.
6. View the file in MarcEdit, making changes as needed for you local catalog (read the MarcEdit documents for hints on doing this). Changes might include: removing 086 fields, removing 9xx fields, adding $z notes to 856 fields, etc.
7. Using MarcEdit's Mark Maker function, recreate a MARC file from the file you just modified. For example:
Dec05-Jan06.out = original file name from CDE server
Dec05-Jan06.mrc = file name changed to .mrc extension. Use Mark Breaker to create the .mrk file
If you have specific questions about using MarcEdit, please call Samantha Hager at 303-866-6728.